Decomposing User Stories
Mike has a must-read on decomposing stories into task. Software engineers are all to often diving into the widget/component tasks, and no functional tasks to ensure delivery of the overriding story. I’d also add the following:
- If a story feels like an Epic, then break it into stories.
- Decomposing a story into tasks should only occur once the story is really a story, and not an epic
- The agile road requires everyone involved to embrace change.
- Time-box the game planning, else it will run and run 😦
- Stop the client/server split – you’ll get completely disconnected deliverables otherwise
- Leverage Tracer Bullet’s as appropriate– very narrow implementation in production quality of an epic/large user story – indicator: user story is too large in estimation