The Design of a Team – Part 2
Following the last posting on management, leaders and more, Medium is taking an interesting view of managers, and leveraging Holacrazy, offering “clear communication, incentives, and accountability”. The key tenants that Medium follow:
- No people managers. Maximum autonomy.
- Organic expansion. When a job gets too big, hire another person.
- Tension resolution. Identify issues people are facing, write them down, and resolve them systematically.
- Make everything explicit – from vacation policies to decision makers in each area.
- Distribute decision-making power and discourage consensus seeking.
- Eliminate all the extraneous factors that worry people so they can focus on work.