Leadership: Shifting Paradigms
- Page 15 – “You can buy a man’s time; you can buy his physical presence at a given place; you can even buy a measured number of his skilled muscular motions per hour. Buy you cannot buy enthusiasm…You cannot buy loyalty…You cannot buy devotion of hearts, minds, or souls. You must earn these” – Clarence Francis. Great opening quote for a book.
- Page 21 – Leadership fundamentals – Personally committed. Vision. Stakeholders work together. Culture. Outputs are results that exceed expectations
- Page 25 – Leaders have follows, not just subordinates
- Page 50 – Trust – Duke of Wellington story
- Page 52 – Walk the talk!
- Page 54 – Personal Mission. Mission Statement. Become what we think about
- Page 63 – Ritz-Carlton. Work unit alignment
- Page 66 – Training – Ritz-Carlton. Line-ups agile style
- Page 68 – Trust! A priceless ingredient
- Page 76 – Steward Paradigm
- Page 103 – Balanced Scorecard
- Page 119 – Make their business your business
- Page 124 – Mission statements. Either have one, and make it compelling, or don’t bother starting the process. If you get to this page, and don’t agree with having a mission statement, then it might be best to give up reading the book, as the rest of the book implies a compelling mission statement.
- Page 126 – The four basic needs of a mission statement.
- Page 143 – The process is the product
- Page 150 – Terminology confusion. The Ritz-Carlton missions provide real context!
- Page 154 – Ritz-Carlton linking the missions together. Integration
- Page 168 – Peter Senge’s “Laws of the Fifth Discipline“
- Page 178 – Hired Hands – think we have all seen this one in organizations
- Page 200 – “There are 99 people who believe in honesty for every honest man” – Mahatma Gandhi.
- Page 290 – Leader Profile: Visionary. Vision becomes centre of their work. Believe in themselves, controversial risk taker. Passionate, courageous, persistent, ruthless in pursuing their vision. Inspires trust and confidence. Great communicators. Aligned with followers. Dream to reality.
- Page 298 – “See the world though their eyes”
- Page 300 – State the vision clearly. What it is, what its not!. Teach step by step what the needed behaviours are